Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sharing My Experiences : Early Days of Growing !

Sharing My Experiences : Early Days of Growing !

As far back as I can go back into my childhood , it always takes me to India !
I seem to have some deep connection to this ancient land !
Even , now , I notice that almost all my dreams are all linked or connected to India !!
I have lived and been to a few countries around the world , but , India is central to my life !
Why is that so , I have no clear idea or reason .
It simply is so !
You will be surprised , that I have very vague memories even as young as 1 to 2 years old !
Maybe they are real memories or could be some construct that I created later from hearing about 
stories from parents and family !
As my mother comes from Punjab , India , that is where most of my memory is from .
My parents were married in 1947 !!
That was the time of Indian Independence !
Worst , still , that was the time of



the Great Indian Partition too !!
What a horrible time that humanity had to go through !!
Why do humanity have to go through such pain and suffering ?
Why they suddenly can become so distorted in their thinking and feelings !
Fear , confusion , lose of every sense of values and clouded in beliefs !
Has it changed today ?! No !!
Will it change in the near future ?! Unlikely !!
It is better for me to face the reality and move on from there then pretend that it is otherwise !
Facing that reality of our behaviour and beliefs can be useful towards my understandings !
Everything about my life is wonderful when I am relating to my surroundings !
I grew up the thickly forested mountains in Malaysia . ( Then called Malaya ! )
Every few years it was time to visit my mother's people .
They were traditional farmers and so lived in the villages in Punjab , India.
The main crop that they grew was wheat . They always had small patches of land near home for vegetables for their own consumption . A cow or a buffalo for milk . That took care of nearly 80 % of their needs ! They were very self sufficient and needed very little from beyond their villages !
My ancestors in India lived a good life . They were tall , hardy and proud people !
Mostly vegetarians , non smokers and no alcohol ! Can you see that !!
They were Sikhs by religion . A rather modern religion that is about 500 years old .
A always enjoyed that good life !
They love to look after their lands and were proud warriors too !!
Their were and are the front line to India's defence !
Good feeling to see them walk tall and live well !
Generous , open hearted and always giving and sharing is their nature !
This are my people ! 
That is the closest I can express about my sense of belonging today !
In reality , I feel very strongly about being one with all humanity !!
Let me put it another way , I am very aware of being human first !
As a living being I deeply value life in a very broad sense !
Reverence for Life is the best I can express !!
Growing in such a culture , customs , religion and people is how my early character was formed .
It was allowed to grow at it's own pace and expand naturally .
That was the best gift I got from my people .
I was allowed to reason and wonder about things from an early life .
Why things are like that and why not like that !
That freedom to question and reason is really magical !
I could question and work my way through all my beliefs !!
Finally , I was even allowed to question about my religion and its customs !
When no proper answers were forth coming , I was allowed to do further thinking or change !
That has been the best aspect of my growing years !
I questioned everything around !
Walking in those villages , seeing those fields of wheat , sugar cane and cotton and more really made an impression on me .
Their wholesome living . Eating well and yet simple ! Slept early and got up early !
It was a real good life .
Faith was in One Good God who gave to All !
That was good ! I grew up feeling good !
Good was already a given , so if I wanted to improve , it had to be better !!
The better was more about values then just material !! Material was always seen as good enough !
There was a sense of contentedness and feeling satisfied ! ( Now, let me not paint some kind of heavenly paradise for you !! Basically , life was taken with a good attitude even if there were petty , trivial needs ! )
That were my early days !!
Enough for today . Will share more later .
Take care .
Amar.

No comments:

Post a Comment