Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Why Depression and What can We Do ?

Why Depression and What can We do ?

Today , I have to share one of the most difficult and often confusing aspect of our life and living . It is one behaviour that probably most of us humans will experience sometime in our life ! 
Depression is a major problem that we all will face . If , I were to write from the angle of some expert or professional , than it becomes a topic of professional ' interest ' !
To me , personally , this is a topic of human interest ! Even , the word interest does not sit well with me ! For the sake of expanding further , let me write how I think and feel now ! I placed a small simple quote today morning in my Google + . I just felt that it was an important topic that I have experienced in my personal life and as in my professional life .
It is a huge topic that has many views and angles to it . Physical , psychological , social , cultural , biochemical ,  religious , finanical , existential and more .......
I have seen the many methods and models for treatment of this mind blogging problem . From the chemical based where treatment is prescribing of medication for long periods in the belief and understanding that the brain chemicals that have gone off balance can be brought back to normal again . Added to that there was also suportive therapy or care from professionals , family and other importent signficant people in ones life .
There is religious angle too . Our belief systems play a very , very important role in how we view life or whatever meaning we give to life and living .
Now , coming to a simple question ! Why do we get depressed ? 
Are we , as humans prone to feeling depressed or even sad and moody ?
Do very young infants get depressed ? Are infants depressed in the womb ?!!
This are some of the areas that will or can throw some understanding to our  issue of feeling sad .
The one core reason that we all can feel upset , moody , sad , or depressed is when we are feeling or facing any issue , however petty or insignficant to others , that has a very important area of  value in our life . When we feel the value of that area threatened , lost or gone , we can become lost too ! Our very identity with that valued item or thought/feeling is so shaken or literally pulled out from below our feet ! Our very foundation of living and life can become blurred or darkened .
The meaning or reason and purpose is slipping away or is gone .
I have seen school children kill themselves over a petty school exam ! The fear placed on this young children and the expectation expected was out of proportion to the reality .
Reality is a very strange entity ! We all have separate realities and therefore very different outcomes and expectations too ! I knew a multimillion who was depressed and would even hide under his bed to get ride of his fear  and depression . I once asked how much he lost in the share market ? He gave me a figure of a few millions ! I had no idea what a million was ! Than I asked if he had any money left ? He replied that he still had a few more millions ! Well that was his realities and it made sense .
On the other hand , I also knew another woman who was married to  an alcoholic who was not working much and yet  had given half a dozen children to this poor , struggling women . She had to do some petty jobs to feed her children and provide for all , including the good for nothing husband! He will come late in the night after drinking and will demand food , sex and all whatever comforts from this poor miserable woman . She was regularly beaten , abused , even humilated to the extent of being peed on !! If that is not a living hell , than what is ?!
She too was depressed and lived and survived in her reality !!
Today , I will only write a little to share the painful area of human misery and depression .
In all the big drama , the one thing that I found constant with all the people was that their status made litle different  if they were rich , poor , famous or whatever , but they All responded to Love !!
When you showed love and warm loving , understanding and real geninue feelings , they all responded like magic !
The one therapy that I found most constant was the L



ove therapy , if you can call it that !
Love went beyond all borders and levels of  the humans that I saw and met !
Love works wonders in ways that we cannot understnad !
I will leave you with just this one hope , that Love works !!
I feel this is enough for today .
Till we meet again , take care and yes , Love !
Good night .
Amar.
PS : I want to leave you with beautiful and peaceful natural scenes ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment